Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Draft day!

So yesterday was draft day in my fantasy football league. I was in kind of a hurry to log on to the draft because Dave and I went to Zuma (formally Celebration Station) to play some video games. It was $10 Tuesday which allows unlimited video games for $10. That is a GREAT deal. Anyways, I arrived for the draft about 10 minutes before it began. I was a little bummed to find out that I was picking 9th. I was hoping for somewhere in the 4-6 range, but oh well. I think most of the teams were there, but there was a few absent. In our 10 team league, we play 1 QB, 2 RB's, 3 WR's, 1 W/R, 1 TE, 1 K, and 1 DEF with 6 Bench spots, thus equaling a total of 16 rounds. It actually went faster than I thought as it only took about 1 hour for the draft. Some in our league had some odd draft selections to say the least, but you never know whats going to happen in a draft. Picking 9th, I figured I might end up taking Peyton 1st, since most drafts don't have him going until the late 1st round. Usually, RB's are going to get the majority of the 1st round picks, because they are usually more reliable and less good ones, thus there is a higher priority for them. Well, Peyton was picked 4th, which was too high in my opinion, so that was out of the picture. Cody, who picked 8th, selected the next RB on my list, Rudi Johnson. So I had to settle for Lamont Jordan as my 1st RB. I sure hope he was right when he said that he was paying more attention to plays and all this year in Oakland. Then, to start the 2nd round, Brent (picking 10th, but 1st in the even rounds) picks my next RB, Ronnie Brown. I was about to start yelling at the computer at this point. So I went a different route and started the WR exit, selecting Chad Johnson. Then the next 5 of 6 picks were WR's. WOW! So anyways, here's some of the best and worst picks of the draft in my opinion.

Good - All of mine. Just kidding. I thought I got two steals, drafting Chester Taylor, Minnesota's new RB, with the 2nd pick in round 6, and Jason Witten with the 9th pick in round 7. Others, Brent drafted Javon Walker with the 1st pick in round 6, which could be a very good pick if he can get healthy. A sleeper for me could be Cedric Benson, whom I drafted 2nd in the 12th round. He is out for 2-3 weeks, which leaves him rested for the season, and there are also rumors flying around about Thomas Jones possibly going to the Jets, along with his strained hamstring. Nathan also got a great pick with the last pick of the draft, Lawrence Tynes, KC's kicker.

Bad - Both Antonio Gates and Jason Elam were drafted by the same team, in the 2nd and 3rd rounds respectively. That's insane. I can see Gates somewhat, but there is a little bit of unknown there with Brees gone. But Elam?! Kickers are never taken until late in the draft, because they can't bring you the points that others on the board at that time can. So it will be interesting to see how that works out. Both Baltimore and Chicago were drafted in the 6th round, still a little too high in my opinion for defenses. Both are great defenses, but again, I don't think they can bring you the same amount of points that some others on the board at the time can bring you. Oh well.

My draft, in order, included Lamont Jordan, RB, OAK, Chad Johnson, WR, CIN, Chris Chambers, WR, MIA, Reggie Bush, RB, NO, Donovan McNabb, QB, PHI, Chester Taylor, RB, MIN, Jason Witten, TE, DAL, Lee Evans, WR, BUF, Donte Stallworth, WR, NO, Ben Roethlisberger, QB, PIT, Jon Kasay, K, CAR, Cedric Benson, RB, CHI, Brandon Lloyd, WR, WAS, Ben Watson, TE, NE, David Givens, WR, TN, and last Philly's Defense. So that was my draft. Feel free to critique away.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home