Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Suspenseful Monday

So yesterday was crazy. I had two really suspenseful moments in one day, now how often does that happen? First, the CSC Pirates had our 4th game of the season last night. We played the Business school's fraternity Alpha Kappa Psi girls. They had currently only lost 1 game, so they were still playoff eligible, unlike us since we have 2 losses. So fast forward to 5 minutes left in the game. We stop AKPsi on a crucial extra point attempt to keep the game tied 13-13. We proceed to drive the ball down the field and, with 1 minute and 45 seconds left, have the ball 4th and goal at the 2 yard line. We are stopped, and turn the game over to our defense. I'm hoping for a sack and a safety, but the AKPsi girls proceed to get a first down. To our surprise, the AKPsi girls are trying to score, when a tie is just the same as a win for them. Big mistake there. A couple of plays later, the AKPsi girl throws a ball that hangs a little too long in the air and Susie jumps in front of the receiver to intercept the ball and returns it to midfield. So with 30 seconds left, we have 30 yards to score and 2 timeouts left. We call timeout and set up our offense. We decide to go no huddle and tell the girls what stops the clock and what doesn't. On first down, Kelly, our QB, scrambles out to her right for a good 12 yard gain and runs out of bounds with about 20 seconds left. On the next play, Kelly hits the center for about a 5 yard gain, getting another first down, and temporarily stopping the clock. The clock runs an extra second however, and while Cody is telling the ref to add an extra second, I'm yelling out to get set and I call out our play. The ref starts the clock before the extra second is added and I yell at Kelly to snap the ball. The ball is snapped with 8 seconds left, and Kelly looks for an open receiver. With no one open, and a heavy rush, Kelly takes off to her right again. I look at the clock and there is only 3.5 seconds left running so I tell myself this is probably the last play of the game, because if she gets tackled, we probably don't have enough time to call timeout. Cody is already next to the ref ready to call timeout just in case. I watch Kelly run and dodge a defender, and as the clock strikes zero, she rolls into the endzone between two defenders. Pandamonium quickly ensues. Cody, Daniel (our other coach), and I are all running and jumping on the field. The girls surround Kelly and celebrate. Pure adrenaline is now running threw my body. What a great game!!!!!

So after the game, I arrived home to watch the Monday Night Football game. I was particularly interested tonight, because, 1)I like to consider myself an Eagles fan, and 2)I needed a huge night from Donovan McNabb and the Philly defense to win in fantasy football this week. I trailed by 46 points going into last night with only those two remaining on my roster and none on my opponents. Donovan made me extremely proud by rushing for 2 TD's and throwing for 2 TD's, and I had the game won until the last couple of minutes. I had computed in my head that I had scored 47 points that night, with 36 of those coming from McNabb. Once McNabb was pulled, I knew that my defense had to make a stand against the Green Bay offense and not let them score. Based on how defenses are scored, if Green Bay kicked a FG I still would have been ok, but if they scored another TD to score 16 points, then I would have lost 2 points, and thus lost the fantasy game. So for those that watched the game, you know why I was nervous. Philly was called for pass interference in the endzone with less than 2 minutes left in the game. The ball was then moved to the 2 yard line. Green Bay ran the ball three straight times, and were denied 3 straight times. At this point, I'm going nuts and yelling at the tv for Green Bay to kick the FG, but alas, they don't listen. So on 4th and goal, at the one inch line, here is my fantasy game. Alas, Philly stopped Green Bay on 4th down, and while the Philly defense is going nuts because they stopped Green Day from scoring, I'm going nuts because I just won my fantasy game. I tell you what. I crazy night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home