Sunday, February 25, 2007

Hows everything going!

It's been a while for Big Bentley. I haven't really been able to post lately. My new job has really kept me busy, and between that and the basketball season, I really didn't have time to keep my blog updated. As it's not going to be like it was before the hiatus, I have come here to offer up some thoughts.

The past couple of months have been rough for the Vols. Chris Lofton was lost for 4 games with an ankle sprain. The Vols faced a tough schedule in that time and went 1-3 in that stretch. Until recently, the Vols have been able to turn things around. They pulled off three straight at home against LSU, Vandy, and UK. One of the highlights of that time was seeing Bernard King back in Knoxville. While I was never able to see Bernard play, as he was before my time, I had heard the stories growing up going to the games. It was such a honor to see Bernard back at Tennessee to have his #53 retired. And it was even more special to have Ernie Grunfeld and Ray Mears there as well. Then, yesterday, the Vols pulled off their first SEC road win of the season against Arkansas, locking up a NCAA Tourney bid. While there is still much work to be done, I don't see the NCAA committee passing on a team that would finish at 8-8 in the SEC at worst, with a top 10 strength of schedule and top 20 RPI.

Now, in comes the Gators. They have lost 2 of their last 3, both on the road. The Vols have yet to lose at home, going 15-0. The game is on Super Tuesday on ESPN, and for the first time since the early 90's, Dick Vitale will be in the house to broadcast the game. Now, as annoying as Vitale can be, he is the poster child for college basketball. Whenever he comes to your arena to call a game, it says that your program has arrived. The students are being allowed to campout starting Monday morning, ensuring that the crowd will be crazy. The game should be sold out by Monday morning. The tip off club is having their season dinner at 6:00 at the Foundry. Woddy Paige is the featured speaker and Bruce Pearl will be there as well. And, I will be attending. Looking forward to it. But the best part of the night that I'm looking forward to is the Senior Night Ceremony. Dane Bradshaw is the lone senior on this team, and will be honored justly. I'll admit that I tend to get teary-eyed at ceremnoies like this. Can't wait. Hope the Vols beat the Gators to high heavens!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home